Monday, October 25, 2010

Procrastination Post 1/Bible Study

I often find that when an assessment task or something is due, I am the most productive. That is, at other things ...

So, 2nd Timothy 2:4 says:

'No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier.' (New American Standard Bible)

and a link attached to it led me here;

'For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world by the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and are overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first.(2 Peter 2:20)

*Oh, for the day when I will be able to link Bible verses like that!*

Now, for the amazing relevance to my life. Yesterday I mentioned how I live in two worlds, and how they don't co-exist well. Up until just now, I thought that the lack of 'meeting places' was because of my lack of experience .. but now I'm not so certain. What was it I said? 'I would believe in anything as long as you pointed me to the right verse.'

Well, Oh, My God! I think that God might be trying to say something here ... :D

I may explain later ... If I remember

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Part 1; 'No soldier in active service...' therefore soldiers that aren't in active service do this sometimes. I want to be in 'active service' - so in order to do that I need to make sure that I am NOT doing this.

Part 2; '... entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life'. Interesting use of the word 'entangles', over 'involves'. To me, it suggests that the soldier can be involved, can participate, they just can't 'trap' (?) themselves in everyday life; meaning avoiding things that will 'trap' their;

~ Time

~ Energy

~ Passion

~ Attention

for any long periods of time.

And now THAT has personal relevance ... ouch! But then there's the last bit of the verse;

Part 3; '... so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier.' So, when we start sacrificing those parts of our lives which entangle us, preventing us from passing into that other 'world', ultimately it is advantageous to our relationship with Christ.

And at the end of the day, that's the only thing we can guarantee.

May your swords stay sharp!

No comments:

Post a Comment